Coconut oil has been the talk of the town for a while now.
Multi-functional products make me excited. Efficiency and practicality are two words you will see me coming back to quite often. From cooking with it to eating it by the spoonful, oil pulling to using it as a hair serum – the options with coconut oil are endless.
Using coconut oil a as moisturizer has been a BIG game changer for me. Having so much trouble with dry skin in the past, its funny that I now catch myself rubbing my own arms like a creep. Seriously, scabs are not sexy.
My road to this pot of gold was not easy. I have tried pretty much every type of body lotion and butter out there (I was even using baby oil for a while!). Here’s what I found:
– 24-hour moisture is the biggest pile of bull I’ve ever heard. Although it provides more moisture than the usual – it doesn’t last all day and these lotions are usually really sticky – ick.
– A lot of drug store brands use ingredients that are not good for your skin (ugh)
– If I did have to pick a drug store brand, it would definitely be Aveeno. I love how gentle it is. Still, I was finding that by the end of the day, my skin was so dry again.
– Alba Bontanica was another option I looked into. I figured natural, hypoallergenic might help. This lotion is THICK! I hated how I had to rub it in forever before the white streaks went away (aint nobody got time for that!).
Back to the drawing board/internet where I researched options for dry skin and found my newly beloved.
There’s a reason to the rhyme here:
1. The anti-fungal, antimicrobial, antioxidant, and antibacterial properties make uncomfy itching and inflammation go away.
2. Your skin absorbs the oils more easily, it moisturizes much deeper than the top layer of skin.
3. The abundance of Vitamin E will help get rid of previous battle wounds and scars 🙂
I especially like coconut oil because it is NATURAL! I am making a huge effort to use natural products or at least products with ingredients I can pronounce and understand. Your body is your temple!
Before you do anything else, grab your body lotion and take a look at the ingredients.
If you don’t understand what they are, chances are your body can do without them. Coconut oil nourishes your skin without using any harsh chemicals or additives. Even if you are using a natural lotion, coconut oil is jam packed with vitamins and nutrients your body enjoys. Give it a try.
Not all coconut oil is created equal. Make sure you choose a product that is unrefined or virgin. This means the oil is all natural – not bleached or deodorized. The coconut oil is extracted from fresh meat, not dried (yum!). I especially love the texture and feel of the the Dr. Bronner’s brand.
I also learned that extra-virgin coconut oil is a big fatty (pun intended) lie! Unlike Olive oil, coconut oil is either virgin or not – like us 🙂
Coconut oil can also be used as a face moisturizer. I once met a girl at a bar with the most perfect skin ever whose secret was coconut oil. I am nervous to try it because I have acne-prone skin, but I have been wanting to incorporate oils into my skincare regime. I will keep you guys posted on how that works! (FYI might turn out a disaster)
Tip: I used to leave my coconut oil in the shower with a little spoon to use as soon as I was done showering. I noticed some water got in the jar and it started to smell super funky. I bought a new one and now leave it in my bedroom to make sure no water gets in.
Try it out and let me know what you think!