Hey guys! Today, I’m launching a new series called Natural Beauty. Each Sunday, I’ll be bringing you a natural product that’s must-have in the vanity. I want this to be like a natural beauty encyclopedia for all of you. You’ll find some information on what the product is, what its benefits are, some DIY treatments, as well as some of my favorite store bought goodies. Anyone that knows me, knows I’m a hippie at heart and am all in for anything au-naturale. Most of the products are multi-functional and can be used for your hair, skin, and nails. Without further ado, our first contender is Argan oil.
What is Argan Oil?
Argan oil has been a hot topic in the beauty and wellness world for a while now (thanks to the Moroccan Oil brand). The Argan tree is originally from Morocco, but is now GMO produced in Israel and parts of the Mediterranean since it was officially deemed endangered years ago. Why do we have to ruin everything? But can you blame us? The internal AND external benefits of Argan oil are just too gewddddd. It can be eaten (with bread or couscous, yum!), but more importantly makes for a top notch beauty product.
When buying Argan oil, I tend to go for anything fair trade. This means supporting the small group of people that protect and harvest the last bits of natural oil left in the world. Sure, its more expensive, but I’m always in for supporting local and non-GMO. And to be honest, a little really does go a long way with this stuff. It lasts. I currently have the Safa brand in my vanity and I love it. For mass produced products like shampoo and lotion, its hard to tell if fair trade oil is being used (although I think we all know the unfortunate answer to that). At the end of the day, my love affair has me supporting both sides of the industry. I just can’t help it
Benefits and Natural Uses of Argan Oil
Ok, ok, we get it, Argan oil is all the rage…but why? Truth is, its Richie Rich in Vitamins A and E, antioxidants, omega-6 fatty acids, and linoleic acid. All these things help heal and nourish your body both internally and externally. The non-greasy oil makes it especially ideal for external use.
Argan oil is a natural moisturizer, so you can apply a few drops to your lips, nails, or even face as a night time serum. I mix a few drops of Argan oil, Vitamin E oil, Tea Tree oil, and Rosehip oil every night as a DIY face serum.
The super oil is also known to heal damaged skin. Use it as a spot treatment for acne scars before bed at night. Oil up those stretch marks and burn marks, too. The linoleic acid and omega-6 fatty acids in Argan oil heal and moisturize your skin. They keep the skin soft, clear, and youthful.
AF Beauty Tip: add some Vitamin E oil to the mix for the ultimate scar and skin treatment.
My hair is also a huge fan of Argan oil. I use it as a hair conditioner after I blow-dry. It makes my hair so soft, but doesn’t leave a film of oil near the roots. I’ve had this happen to me with sooo many other oils and serums. Even when I’m not blowdrying, I put a few drops of Argan oil in my damp hair. It controls my frizz while still keeping my curls in tact.
My Top 5 Argan Oil Products
1. Burgati Shampoo & Conditioner: Burgati recently sent me their shampoo, conditioner, and leave in conditioner to try. I wanted to use them for a little while and see how the products worked before really recommending the brand and I have to say I LOVE them! My hair has been feeling insanely soft and healthy. With Fall and Winter on the way, its easy for hair to feel dry and brittle. I would seriously recommend giving Burgati a chance. To top it all off, the price is unbeatable, especially for the quality.
2. Moroccan Oil Intense Hydrating Mask: If your hair is feeling especially brittle or dry this season, this Moroccan oil mask is for you. The name says it all. Once a week for 45 minutes is what I normally do, but definitely adjust how long you keep it in based on how oily your hair is. Its a bit of an investment, but it honestly lasts a really long time. I ended up splitting mine with my mom, because it was so much product.
3. Kiehls Superbly Restorative Argan Body Lotion: I’ve always been a huge fan of Kiehl’s products. Their aftershave and BB cream are some of my all-time favorite products. I love this body lotion because its super moisturizing. I normally use coconut oil as a moisturizer, but in the fall and winter my skin really needs the extra hydration. This stuff is the bees knees and totally worth the price.
4. Josie Maran Whipped Argan Oil Face Butter: If you really want to step up your skincare game, try adding this whipped face butter in your routine the morning and also before applying makeup. Its gives you a lightweight moisture that also makes for a great primer. Let the lotion dry completely before putting your makeup on! I also really like that the scent is minimal. Im not a fan of things that are too perfume-y. The more natural the better.
5. Yes To Argan Oil Mud Mask: This skin mask is amazing! I have to admit I’m not crazy about the packaging, but I feel like this mask is very balanced. The Argan oil counteracts the drying affect the mud can have, while still minimizing your pores and clearing out your skin. Putting it on before the shower definitely calls for an easier clean up, but I would try it after when your skin is soft and your pores are open from the steam and heat!
What are your favorite Argan oil products?